My latest read was The 5am Club by Robin Sharma. A friend in London told me she was trying this program and recommended the book. It is a self-help book that advocates for waking up at 5 AM daily to achieve success and well-being. The book is based on a story about a billionaire who mentors two struggling individuals—a painter and an entrepreneur—teaching them the power of early rising.
Here is an overview of the key concepts laid out in The 5am Club (Thanks go to ChatGPT for this outline):
- The 20/20/20 Formula: Upon waking at 5 AM, the first hour is split into three 20-minute segments.
- First 20 minutes (Move): Engage in intensive physical exercise. This helps in waking up the body, releasing endorphins, and boosting energy.
- Second 20 minutes (Reflect): Dedicate time to meditation, journaling, planning, or other reflective activities. This helps in grounding oneself and setting intentions.
- Last 20 minutes (Grow): Spend time on personal growth by reading, studying, or listening to something educational.
- The 4 Focuses of History-Makers: Sharma emphasizes the importance of mastering one’s craft, being an elite performer in one’s field, having good health, and serving others as the primary goals of the 5 AM club members.
- The Twin Cycles of Elite Performance: The book underscores the significance of balancing periods of intense performance with periods of deep recovery, as this promotes sustainable high performance.
- Mindset, Heartset, Healthset, and Soulset: Beyond just mindset, Sharma introduces three other “sets” that individuals should nurture. This means that personal growth should encompass not only mental progress but also emotional, physical, and spiritual progress.
- Victory Over Technology: In an age of constant digital distractions, the book suggests techniques to use technology as a tool rather than letting it control you.
- Daily Rituals: The story stresses the importance of habits and rituals. Consistent habits lead to consistent results.
- The Power of Environment: Surrounding oneself with inspiring places and people can elevate creativity, mindset, and energy.
The story format was a different way to write this kind of book. The dialog in the 5am Club did get a bit over the top. While some of the concepts were thought-provoking, a lot of it was a rehash of common self-help topics like the concept of daily rituals as a path to improvement. The core idea of waking up before sunrise (Teresa and I already do ) and jumping into 20 minutes of vigorous exercise as soon as you get out of bed probably is never going to happen at the Fleming house.
The 5 AM Club
Legendary leadership and elite performance expert Robin Sharma introduced The 5am Club concept over twenty years ago, based on a revolutionary morning routine that has helped his clients maximize their productivity, activate their best health, and bulletproof their serenity in this age of overwhelming complexity.
Now, in this life-changing book, handcrafted by the author over a rigorous four-year period, you will discover the early-rising habit that has helped so many accomplish epic results while upgrading their happiness, helpfulness, and feelings of aliveness.
Through an enchanting—and often amusing—story about two struggling strangers who meet an eccentric tycoon who becomes their secret mentor, The 5am Club will walk you through:
- How great geniuses, business titans, and the world’s wisest people start their mornings to produce astonishing achievements
- A little-known formula you can use instantly to wake up early feeling inspired, focused, and flooded with a fiery drive to get the most out of each day
- A step-by-step method to protect the quietest hours of daybreak so you have time for exercise, self-renewal, and personal growth
- A neuroscience-based practice proven to help make it easy to rise while most people are sleeping, giving you precious time for yourself to think, express your creativity, and begin the day peacefully instead of being rushed
- “Insider-only” tactics to defend your gifts, talents, and dreams against digital distraction and trivial diversions so you enjoy fortune, influence, and a magnificent impact on the world
Part manifesto for mastery, part playbook for genius-grade productivity, and part companion for a life lived beautifully, The 5am Club is a work that will transform your life. Forever.
Released December 4, 2018